6.27.2005

piano




i love to play the piano.

i grew up having a baby grand piano that i could bang on and eventually learned to play. my parents enrolled me in piano lessons when i was young, and even with a mean old hag for a teacher, my love for this instrument grew. i remember how this teacher would get on my case for looking at my hands as i played. one time, she decided that she was going to teach me a lesson on how to not look at my hands, but instead to concentrate on the notes printed on the music in front of me. she took the piano lid and held it down just above my fingers so that i couldn't see them. i began to cry, only to be met with disapproving looks and words about not being a "baby" from this woman. i was so afraid of her dropping it on my hands. she wouldn't have known, nor would she listen when i tried to explain how my older brother would sometimes slam my own piano lid on my fingers when he wanted to be especially mean. what an awful memory. (and paul, if you should read this, i was more hurt by the teacher's unkind words than by your actions.)

anyway, this caused me to quit taking lessons, only to take them up years later from a wonderfully sweet woman named Mrs. Kirby. she was awesome. she used to laugh at me for playing everything as fast as i could. whenever i was going to learn a new piece, i would ask her to play it through for me one time first. i would listen intently trying to memorize the melody. i didn't really want to learn that actual notes on the music, instead i wanted to sound it out for myself. she soon caught on to my antics! however, she never chastised me for not practicing, or was disappointed when i picked enya over mozart. she was always gracious and kind. she was the best piano teacher that i could have asked for.

i eventually quit taking lessons around my freshman year of high school. i was becoming involved in percussion and was singing a lot at school, which didn't leave time for me to continue with private lessons. years passed until i saw Mrs. Kirby again. i had gotten married and didn't even own a piano at my new home. i always wondered what she was doing, if she had continued teaching or not. one day, i decided to drive to her house on the chance that she might be there. i wanted her to hear me play all of the songs that i had learned (without actual sheet music, by the way) since being a student of hers. she was so happy to see me, and quietly listened as i played. i knew that when i left, i would probably never see her again. i haven't.

since that day, my desire to play has continued to grow. a few years ago i received, as a gift from my dear aunt genie, an upright piano. it has a beautiful black matte finish to it and sounds great. i left it in ohio when i moved to florida and have missed it often since.

i sometimes dream about playing the piano. i try to remember the songs and how they sound when i play it. i always look forward to going back home to ohio, so that i can sit for as long as i like, at my mother-in-law's shiny black piano. sometimes i feel like crying because i miss playing so badly.

last week, i was searching on ebay (as i often do)for an inexpensive piano in the orlando area. i found one. we will see on wednesday if i get it. i already have a list of songs that i will learn as soon as it is in my home. i am so excited, that even the thought of being able to play soon makes me want to spin around in circles and squeal!

well, i guess that is all for now. i am on my way to meet one of my favorite people for lunch. have a blessed day everyone!

(listening to "Late" by Ben Folds)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LMAHOIO, Dad!

I hear that TCJ Clones are the hottest thing in Cincy right now! Woo! Woo!

stephanie said...

Christy, that is such an amazing photo!! I LOVE IT ... more than Chick-Fil-A!!! It is true-ly a beautiful photo! :)

Anonymous said...

Martha My Dear... ENOUGH SAID ;)

Betsy